Sunday, April 8, 2007

Earth Day is my Birthday!

That's right! Imagine my delight - as a lifelong student of biology, an interpretive naturalist, a passionate wildlife observer - when some brilliant member of parliament made my birthday into Earth Day! My friends and family all said "How appropriate!"

So, how will I spend my birthday you may ask? Well, for the first time in several years my husband (you know, that songwriter guy, the one who calls me "gorgeous", talks lovingly of industrial landscapes and says at the beginning of every walk "this isn't going to turn into a hike is it?") will be home. I have decided that David, Amy, Julia Colin and I are going on a day long hike in Algonquin Park. I can't wait! For a present I am looking to buy a used kayak (can anyone out there suggest a good kind to take into wetlands - not tippy but handles well!?)

Because I turn 50 this year, I am going to plant 50 trees over the summer, starting with fruit trees, mountain ash and a few more conifers to attract more bird species. I am aiming at increasing species diversity on our property. And - this will be the most fun, I hope to take at least 50 people on nature walks over the course of the year to teach them what I have learned about the plants and animals we see on the way (starting on the 22nd with my family!)

Check back here to see photos and discussions on how I am doing with my challenges!

with respect for our environment,
Beth